CHICKENurture is a blog dedicated to appreciating, caring for, respecting and nurturing chickens!
Chickens have been linked to human history since the first jungle fowl was domesticated around 3000 BC. In ancient cultures rooster images can be found in art and architecture as symbols of beauty, sexuality, bravery and resurrection. Throughout history humans have justified acts of cruelty toward others by first degrading and devaluing them. This degradation is reflected in culture and language with such terms as “chicken” (coward), “fowl” (rotten), “dumb cluck”, “bird brain”, etc. In America chickens are literally “trashed”: Over 250 million male baby chicks are “discarded” by gassing and suffocation each year in the United States by hatcheries and the egg industry. Worldwide 50 billion chickens are slaughtered annually. Collectively they are the most oppressed creatures on the planet.
Chickens are wonderful beings with personality, wit and courage deserving our respect and admiration.
This blog will feature articles on:
- Chicken Care including housing, feed and health issues.
- Chickens in art and architecture, history, culture, myth, and traditions.
- News and updates from the Roostersong Sanctuary retirement residents.
- Videos, music, cartoons and photos of chickens.
- Chicken facts and information on personality, language and behavior.
- Tips on how you can help chickens.
- Links to other resources.
Thanks for visiting!